Saturday, March 31, 2018

Olivia's Feud

Most observers seem to agree that the dismissal of Olivia de Havilland's defamation lawsuit against the creators of Feud: Bette and Joan was the correct outcome. As an author who writes about Hollywood history, I'm given to understand that I should be relieved, as a victory for the 101-year-old retired actress would have set a dangerous legal precedent.

But I sympathize nonetheless with Miss de Havilland's comments to a journalist, explaining her objection to the way she was portrayed in the TV miniseries: "The creators of Feud used my identity without my consent and put false words in my mouth." Had I been writing a biography of the actress, would I have attributed quotes to her that were not documented by any reliable source? No, and that's what bothers me about what was done to her. Being a celebrity opens the door for almost anything to be said or written about you. As a legal principle, I understand it. But as a way to treat another human being? Not so much.

2 comments:

  1. Um, I believe it's called dramatization for a reason.

    It's not like they portrayed her as an axe murderer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough. That seems to be how most people see it. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete