Saturday, April 2, 2016

Remembering Patty Duke (1946-2016)

Mr. and Mrs. Pearce.
Like so many of her fans, I was shocked and saddened by the unexpected news of Patty Duke's death earlier this week. Ordinarily, I don't have a strong reaction when I learn that a celebrity has passed away, even if it's someone whose work I admire. It just isn't quite the same for me as losing someone I know personally.

But among the most noteworthy qualities of Anna Marie Pearce, as she preferred to be known in her private life, was her ability to communicate with others -- whether it was in one of her performances as "Patty Duke," the Oscar- and Emmy-winning actress, or her compulsion to share her life experiences with others. After being diagnosed as mentally ill nearly 35 years ago, she spent much of her time not only making her own life better and healthier, but striving to help others do the same. That she succeeded on both counts is amply demonstrated in a touching interview given this week by her husband of 30 years, Michael Pearce. I found it well worth watching, and I think you will, too.

She won't be forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. i do believe there was a communal groan throughout the country when this news hit. what i hated hearing, on top of her demise, was how she died. hideous.

    ReplyDelete